Week 4 – Telling stories with photos and cutlines
Tips for creating photo galleries:
- When starting to create your photo gallery, look for the most compelling photos you’ve got. And think variety: no one wants to see 8 photos in a row of the same person doing the same thing.
- Start with a strong photo, something that will grab attention.
- Write cutlines that add something. You need to provide context for what’s going on in the photo. But don’t simply describe what the viewer can see for themselves. try to keep cutlines short, two or three sentences, tops.
- Write your cutlines in present tense.
- The first photo’s cutline should answer all the basic 5W questions. The remaining cutlines should provide the viewer with additional information.
- Just like your first photo, your last one should be strong.
For next week:
- If you aren’t already, get on Google/Gmail and YouTube.
- Get ready for Copy editing quiz #2