Half-million suit launched over murders in Mexico
Woodbridge family says tour operator failed to warn about crime risk
The family of murdered Woodbridge couple Dominic and Nancy Ianiero filed a $500,000 lawsuit against Sunquest Vacations earlier this month. The lawsuit alleges that Sunquest, the tour operator who sold the Ianieros their vacation package, failed to warn travellers to Mexico of the elevated risk of violent crime.
The suit also alleges Sunquest didn’t do enough to ensure adequate security at the Barcelo Maya Caribe Resort in Cancun.
The $500,000 in damages the Ianiero family is seeking is for breach of contract, negligence and emotional distress.
Sunquest refused to comment on the suit.
The couple was found, with their throats slashed, in their five-star hotel room on Feb. 20, 2006. They were attending their daughter’s wedding along with more than a dozen family members.
Eddie Greenspan, the high-profile lawyer retained by the family, has criticized the Mexican authorities for their handling of the case and accused a prosecutor of lying.
Though he’s represented the family in the past, Greenspan is not involved with the suit, his partner, Todd White, said by phone.
Vaughan Today Friday, August 31, 2007 Page: 1 Byline: Philip Alves